Google Product Ratings
What is the Product Ratings program
The Product Ratings on Google Shopping allows the merchants to attract more potential buyers and to draw traffic to their website making available all the information needed for their purchase.
In order to help buyers to find these information more easily, Product Ratings are now directly displayed in Product Listing ads in the following countries:
The program is available for each merchant who wants to share with Google his products ratings. The potential buyers can see the ratings directly in the Google Shopping results. These results are interpreted in the form of 5 stars next to which is displayed the total number of reviews for the product.
The global notation is based on reviews that may come from different sources such as merchants, editorial sites, users or third party aggregators. The ones that are approved by Google are:
- Avis Vérifiés
- Trusted Shops
Any review provided by the merchants is subject to a validation by the Google team. They must respect several conditions otherwise they will be deleted from the feed.
A product reviews feed must:
- contain all the reviews of the merchant and be updated regularly
The merchants must share all their reviews with Google even low star ones. The reviews feed must also be updated regularly, ideally every week.
- adhere to content policies
- The reviews feed shouldn't include any spam.
- Google doesn't allow promotionnal information such as telephone numbers, email addresses, urls to other websites...
- Personnal and confidential information are forbidden, for example credit cards information, identification numbers...
- The language used in the reviews must be neutral and shouldn't contain any personal offense.
- Any review that Google judges as not being sincere and objective will be deleted.
- The reviews shouldn't contain any illegal content such as urls to unlawful websites....
- The reviews provided by the merchants shouldn't include copyrighted content.
- Plagiarism is forbidden in the reviews.
- Any review that contains sexually explicit material will be deleted and reported.
- Google doesn't allow hate speech and violent language in the reviews.
- The cross promotion is also forbidden for other products or websites.
- Any off topic review will be removed by the Google team.
- Impersonation is forbidden in the reviews.
- be of high quality
The reviews will be evaluated by the Google team and will have to provide useful and relevant content.
- be owned by the merchant
Indeed, any review that the merchants want to share with Google must be owned by the merchants themselves. Reviews cannot come from other sources. Note that Google makes exceptions to these rules (https://support.google.com/merchants/answer/6098512?hl=en&ref_topic=6169092).
Prerequisites to apply for the program
Merchants who are already sending their products to Google Shopping can now send the associated reviews. The simple act of sending the products ratings feed to Google is not a guarantee that these reviews will be approved and published to Google Shopping. Indeed, the reviews must meet the above conditions to have a chance of being validated.
You also need to pay attention to several essential points while creating your products ratings feed:
- each product must have at least 3 reviews
- your feed must contain at least 50 reviews to be subject to validation from the Google team
- the products ratings feed must be in XML format
- you must host your own data feed
- the data feed shouldn't exceed 100 Mo otherwise it won't be handled by the Google team
- you can send one or more feeds in a zip file
The Google Product Ratings extension will allow you to meet all the conditions that Google requires in order to be able to import your product ratings feed to your Google Merchant Center account in a simple way.
To start submitting your reviews, you can start with completing the ratings interest form from Google so that they can determine if they can collect your product reviews. According to the results, they should contact you within 10-15 days with more details.
How to use the Google Product Ratings extension?
To start configuring the Google Product Ratings extension, you can go to System > Configuration > Wyomind > Google Product Ratings.
Configure the extension
In the configuration of the Google Product Ratings extension, you'll find several tabs that allow you to define your own settings for the feed.
Data Feed settings
In the Data Feed settings tab, you can start with filling in the name of the publisher of the product reviews, for example Jon Snow.
Then you'll have to choose the method to collect the reviews between:
- Unsolicited: the review was submitted by the user without any solicitation.
- Post_fulfillment: the review was submitted by the user in response to a solicitation after the order was placed.
In the Product settings tab, you can choose to leave the Use minimmal configuration option on Yes. By choosing No, you'll have the possibility to map the information Google is requiring with your attributes available in your Magento admin.
For example, you'll be able to map the Brand attribute with the attribute of your Magento admin that store the brand for each product, by default Manufacturer.
Data feeds update
In the Data feeds update tab, you have the possibility to send a report to one or different emails (separated with a comma) in order to check that the data feed has been successfully updated or if there are errors.
You can also define a schedule time to automatically generate your product ratings feed from your Magento admin. To do so, simply select the days and hours when you want your data feed to be generated.
In the File storage tab, you'll be able to define the name and the path to your data feed as on the example below.
Generate your product review feed
Once you've configured the Google Product Ratings extension, you can generate your feed.
To do so, in the File storage tab, click on Generate now!. The url of the product reviews feed should be displayed followed by the date and the hour of the last generation.
To have a look to the feed, you can either click on the url, or check on the directory you have indicated to store the data feed.
In our example, the data feed will be stored in /media/default.
Store view Config
You can also configure the product reviews feed according to the scope of the configuration.
Depending on the scope of the configuration, the url of the data feed will be different as well as the folder in which it will be stored.
In our example, we have chosen to configure the data feed for the English store view so that it retrieves only the reviews for the English store view. Then the data feed will be stored in media/default/default.
Send your product reviews to Google Shopping
Now you have configured the Google Product Ratings extension, you must import your product reviews feed to Google Merchant.
Upload your product review feed to Google Shopping
In order to import your product reviews feed, you must use the Google Merchant Center tool: https://www.google.com/retail/merchant-center/.Note that you must have a Google Merchant Center account to be able to send your product reviews feed to Google Shopping.
Start with logging in your account, then go to the Feeds tab.
You should have a product reviews feed that meet Google's specifications and policy.
Click on the +Data Feed button and select the feed mode between Standard and Test.
Select the feed type between Product Reviews and Product Reviews Update (in the case of an update).
Finally, define a name for your feed and an upload method between Automatic and Manual.
Approval of your product review feed
Once you've imported your product review feed, it will be displayed in the list of your data feeds in the Feeds tab of your Google Merchant account.
The Google team will assess your product review feed within a few days. During that time, the state of your feed will be:
- Processing: your product review feed is processing, you should check the status later.
Once the product review feed has been assessed by the Google team, the state of the feed will be approved or refused:
- Processed: your product review feed has been successfully received and validated.
- Failed: the validation of your product review feed has failed and the feed content won't be processed.
In the case where your product review feed has failed, you must correct and upload it once again.
Display your products reviews in Google Shopping with Google Product Ratings!
Easily display your products reviews in Google Shopping
- Export your product reviews files to Google Merchant in one go
- Create product reviews files according to the website, the store and the store view
Be totally compliant with Google's requirements
- Automatically send the product reviews file to Google in the right format
- Easily map your products attributes to the information Google is requiring
Automatically and regularly send your updated product reviews feed to Google
- Use the scheduled tasks to periodically generate your product reviews feed
- Check your product reviews feed generation by enabling the reports
What is the difference between product ratings and seller ratings on Google Shopping?
Which version of Magento® is supported by Google Product Ratings?
This extension works with Magento Community Edition and also Magento Enterprise Edition. To know if Google Product Ratings is compatible with your Magento version, please check the Compatibility tab.
Do I need a Google Merchant account to apply for the Google Product Ratings program?
You need a Google Merchant Center account to be able to send your product reviews feed to Google Shopping.
Create your Google Merchant Center account: https://www.google.com/retail/merchant-center/
I didn't receive my payment confirmation for Google Product Ratings
The payment confirmation email should only take a few minutes to be sent, rarely more than one hour.
- Check your spam filter.
- Contact us and we will try again to send it.
Where can I find the extension package?
You can find the extension package directly in your Wyomind account.
Go to My account > My downloads and click on the orange arrow next to the extension you've just purchased.
A new window opens. Choose the version of the extension and click on the download button on the right. Your download can start.
For any extension, you can download the package even after your free upgrade period.Check our faqs to install your extension and activate your license.
How do I install Google Product Ratings?
1. Before installing the extension, it's advisable to backup your Magento installation. To complete the setup of your extension in the best way, you first need to disable the compiler in your Magento admin. For that, go to
System Tools Compilation.
If the compiler is activated, you must disable it by clicking on Disable.
2. Then, you need to refresh caches in System Cache Management.
4. Click on the orange button (example: 9.0.1 Available) to download your extension.
5. Once you have downloaded it, unzip the folder content.
6. Copy the folder content and paste all files and directories into your Magento web site root directory (the folder content can vary according to the extension but it generally includes the app, lib and skin folders).
7. Once your installation is complete, don't forget to enable the Compiler if it was activated before the installation and to Run Compilation Process.
8. Clear the cache and log in again.
Well done, your Wyomind extension installation is all set! Have a look to our next FAQ on how to activate your license.
I'm asking to overwrite /lib/Varien/Data/Form/Element/link.php, should I carry on?
You can skip this file, it's only for magento < 1.4.
How do I uninstall Google Product Ratings?
In order to uninstall Google Product Ratings, you must remove all the following files and directories:
Clean the cache and re-launch the compiler (if you use it).
What is the period of validity of my license?
Your license is valid for an unlimited period of time on one domain.
Note that you will be able to transfer your license to another domain in 2 cases:
- from/to any staging, dev or local domain you may use (in that case the license will be valid on all domains at the same time)
- if the old domain redirects definitively to the new one (301 permanent redirection)
You'll need 2 licenses for:
You'll need only 1 license for:
Check how to activate your license on your staging environments.
How long is my upgrade period?
When buying an extension from wyomind.com, you automatically get 3 months of free upgrade available from the date of purchase. After these 3 months, you can purchase an upgrade. You'll have the choice between 1 or 12 months. During that time, you'll be able to download and install the upgraded version to your domain.
Note that the upgraded version will be available in the Wyomind account with which the original extension has been purchased.upgrade to the last version of the extension.
Can I use the same license for my staging server?
No need to buy 2 licenses for 2 domains to test an extension on a staging server first, a license is valid for one live domain and as many staging or development environments you need. To be able to use your extension on production and pre-production domains, you have to follow some steps. Here is how to proceed:
1. Install the extension on your staging environment.
2. Activate the license.
3. You can now use your extension on your staging domain.
Now you want to use the extension on your live domain.
1. Redownload your extension package from your Wyomind account.
2. Install the extension on your live domain.
3. From your Magento admin panel, in System > Config > Wyomind > Your extension, fill in your current activation key.
4. Save config.
5. A notification is displayed offering you to Buy a new license now or to Add this domain to my license.
6. Click on Add this domain to my license.
7. Our team approves or denies your request within one hour (see conditions).
8. You receive a confirmation email.
9. Once your request is accepted, you can use your extension on both domains at the same time.The order in which you activate your license on your domains has no importance, you can activate the extension on your live domain first and then on your staging or dev environments.
Where can I find my activation key?
You can find your activation key in 3 different places.
1. In the confirmation email that you've received after the purchase of your extension
2. In your Wyomind account
Log into your Wyomind account. In My account > My downloads, choose your extension and click on the orange arrow on its right. A new window opens where your should find the activation key.
3. In your Magento admin when the extension is already installed and activated
Log into your Magento admin panel. In System > Config > Wyomind > your extension, you should see the License activation tab. In that tab you'll find your activation key.
How do I activate Google Product Ratings ?
You have installed your extension. Now you need to activate the license.
1. Copy the activation key available in your Wyomind account (check our FAQ to know where to find your activation key). For example: ACTKEY-ABCD.
2. Go to your Magento admin. A message appears at the top.
- The Html output of License Manager is not disabled in system > configuration > advanced > advanced
- The License Manager is well enabled in the file app/etc/modules/Wyomind_Licensemanager.xml
- The License Manager has not been removed from your installation
3. In System > Config > Wyomind > Your extension, paste the activation key in the Activation key field.
4. Choose between the Automatic (Yes) or the Manual (No) activation method.
- Automatic (Yes): you allow a connection to Wyomind's license server
- Manual (No): you must log in with your browser to Wyomind's license server
5. Save your config.
6. A message appears at the top of your admin: Activate it now! Click on that link.
7. Copy and paste the license code in the License code field from your admin or simply click on Activate now!.
8. Finally, you must log out and clear the caches so that the installation is complete. And that's all!To activate the license of an extension that includes other modules (for example Advanced Inventory that includes 3 modules), you will have to repeat the above steps for each module (in the case of Advanced Inventory there will be 4 modules to activate) using the activation keys corresponding to each module.
How do I upgrade to the latest version of the extension?
You can upgrade directly from your account.
1. Go to My account > My download.
2. Click on the orange arrow next to the extension you want to upgrade.
3. Click on Upgrade Now or choose the version you wish to upgrade.
4. Enter your current activation key and click on the orange button.
5. Choose the domain name for which you want to upgrade the extension.
6. Choose 1 month or 1 year of upgrade.
7. Choose a professional installation or not.
8. Click on Buy now.
Why do I get a message 'Request an IP unlock' in my admin?
If you're getting this message, it probably means that you have filled in the Activation Key field in System > Config > Wyomind > Your extension with a wrong activation key too many times.
You need to follow these steps:
1. Click on Request an IP unlock.
2. Our team should accept your request within one hour.
3. During that time, check which activation key you need to provide (our Faq will help you find your activation key).
4. Once your IP unlock request has been approved, paste your activation key in the Activation key field (in System > Config > Wyomind > Your extension) and click on Save Config.
Then, you can finalize the activation of the license.
Why do I continuously get "Request an IP unlock" in my admin even after having unlocked it several times?
In order to solve this problem, you must empty the License code field from System > Configuration > Wyomind > Your extension and click on Save config. Finally, reactivate your license by clicking on Activate Now.
You may also have to request a free license transfer. If so, you can follow our faq.
Why do I get a message 'Unable to update your license' in my admin?
If you get the following message in your Magento admin:
Unable to update your license : your subscription has expired.
In order to extend your subscription, please connect into your Wyomind account.
It probably means that you installed a higher version than the one you're licensed for.
You'll have 2 possibilities:
1. Download and install the extension version you purchased by choosing for example 8.0.0 (installed)
2. or increase your upgrade period and install the new version of the extension clicking on upgrade now
I get a 404 error instead of the configuration page in the admin panelMost of the time log-out/log-in may solve this issue.
I get a fatal error concerning Mage_Core_Model_Resource_Setup.php
If your site crashes and gives this error message after uploading all files to the correct folders:
Fatal error: Class 'Wyomind_Notificationmanager_Model_Resource_Setup' not found in includes/src/Mage_Core_Model_Resource_Setup.php on line 234
It probably comes from installing an extension while the compiler is still enabled.
- If the compilation is enabled on your website (System > Tools > Compilation). Disable it first before installing any extension. After installation re-run the compilation process and re-enable the compiler.
- Before installing any extension, it's advisable to backup your Magento installation.
Here is the way to disable the magento compiler:
Edit the following file: includes/config.php and add a # before the 2 following lines:
define('COMPILER_INCLUDE_PATH', dirname(__FILE__).DIRECTORY_SEPARATOR.'src'); define('COMPILER_COLLECT_PATH', dirname(__FILE__).DIRECTORY_SEPARATOR.'stat');
#define('COMPILER_INCLUDE_PATH', dirname(__FILE__).DIRECTORY_SEPARATOR.'src'); #define('COMPILER_COLLECT_PATH', dirname(__FILE__).DIRECTORY_SEPARATOR.'stat');
Then go back to your website admin and re-run the compilation process.
I get an error saying ERR_CONNECTION_RESET.
It can happen on localhost environments because of rights on session files stored locally.
You have to rename app/code/local/wyomind/googleproductratings/sql/googleproductratings_setup to something different: for example googleproductratings_setup_XX.
How do I fix the issues with scheduled tasks?
How do cron tasks work:
- cron.php is launched regularly from your server side (every 5 minutes most of the time)
- The cron task for Google Product Ratings is targeted and evaluates if a data feed or a profile needs to be refreshed (depending on the timestamp stored in the database and on the schedule table for this specific profile)
- If the above condition matches, then the data feed and the profile is re-generated
Be sure that you have correctly configured a scheduled task from the server side (cpanel) targeting the cron.php file in your magento installation.
Google Product Ratings includes reporting and debug tools for the scheduled tasks in:
system > configuration > Wyomind > Google Product Ratings
We also strongly advice to install the AOE Scheduler that will help you to monitor the magento cron tasks.
Why my reviews are not displayed in Google Shopping?
So that the reviews of your products can be displayed in Google Shopping, Google requires at least 3 reviews per product as well as 50 reviews total across all your products.
Product ratings can appear for products with any number of stars (from 1 through 5).
Why my product reviews feed has failed the validation?
If your product reviews feed has failed the validation process, it means that your feed doesn't meet the program's policy.
You should have a look to the report you received and check the program's policy: https://support.google.com/merchants/answer/6098512?hl=en
Why my product reviews feed does not include all the reviews?
Magento® Community Edition
Magento® Enterprise Edition
Leave your review and get up to 3 months of FREE upgrade
This offer is limited to one domain per extension purchased from your account
- v1.1.1released on 21/12/2016
- Feed generation query fixed
- v1.1.0released on 14/11/2016
- Product names can be mapped with another attribute
- v1.0.1released on 04/03/2016
- Rating feed optimization
- v1.0.0released on 22/01/2016
- 1st public release
GoogleProductRatings / GoogleProductRatings123
- Work in progress...