is available for Magento® 2
How to use the Dynamic Category extension
With the default Magento installation, you can only assign products to categories manually. The Dynamic Category extension allows you to dynamically associate products to categories based on product attributes.
It will help you to define some product conditions for each category in order to retrieve products that you want to assign to it. You’ll also be able to select or unselect matching products and to define custom products positions if needed.
You can start using the extension by following some easy steps.
Define conditions on the categories
The Dynamic Category extension allows you to define your own conditions. For this, go to Catalog > Manage Categories. Select the category for which you want to define conditions and go to the Category Products tab.
In the Dynamic Products subtab, you can define conditions in the same way that you would do for Price rules.
In a first time, you can define conditions based on the products attributes of Magento.
For this, click on the + icon from the Dynamic Products subtab. From the products attributes list, choose the attribute you want to create a condition for, such as the color of the product.
By clicking on Refresh Matching Products, you should get all the products that match with the condition.
In addition to the products attributes conditions, the Dynamic Category extension comes with very useful additional conditions that allow you to customize products conditions easily.
- Product type
You can define a condition based on the product types. You can select one or multiple product types for matching products.
- In promo
This condition uses the native price indexation table that is populated by Magento after Product Prices indexation process has finished. This table doesn't care if the product price has been modified. It can be due to a promotion rule, a special price applied or anything else that modifies the product prices.
- Special price applied
This condition is different than the one above because it only checks if a product has a special price applied and does not verify promotion rules or another process that may modify product prices.
- Total child products quantity in stock
It is sometimes useful to filter configurable or grouped products by the quantity the assigned simple products have in stock. Note that each simple product quantity is added for each parent product.
- Replace matching simple products by parent products
This special condition is particularly useful when you have configurable products containing simple products and when the attribute values are stored in the simple products while you want to select parent products. For example, retrieve parent products that have children with attribute color value Blue.
Keep Orphans: if a simple product does not have a parent product, it will be kept.
Discard Orphans: simple products that don’t have parent products will be removed.
Import conditions on the categories
In the case where you already have created some categories conditions and that you want to assign the same rules for another category, you can directly import these conditions from the Import Category Conditions tab.
All you need to do is to choose among the categories the one from which you want to retrieve the conditions and then click on Import.
The conditions will then be displayed in the Dynamic Products tab. You can change some values if needed.
Index your products
For better performances in the frontend, products that match conditions are indexed in the native Magento database table.
Products are then retrieved in the frontend just like Magento default behaviour and in the order you have defined in the backend.
Because products may not match defined conditions anymore (attribute has changed, promotion has expired), they have to be indexed periodically in order to refresh product list both in the backend and in the frontend.
You have 2 ways of reindexing your products:
- via a scheduled task
You can manually index your products and categories and force the list to be refreshed quickly in Catalog > Manage Categories. Choose a category and from the Category Products tab, click on Refresh Matching Products.
The matching products are indexed for performance purpose. Then, if a product does not match the defined conditions anymore, you’ll have to wait until the scheduled task has finished (by default: every 24 hours) for the product to be removed from the list. You can change the configuration of the scheduled task in System > Configuration > Wyomind > Dynamic Category - Settings and change the delay that has to expire before refreshing product list.
- Automatically Reindex Matching Products: Activate that option to reindex the matching products via a scheduled task.
- Reindex Matching Products Every: Define the frequency of the automatic indexation in hours.
- Enable Category Reindexation Logging: Activate that option to enable the categories indexation logging.
Note that the default Magento cron.php task must be configured for this to work.
Dynamically associate products to categories with Dynamic Category!
Manage matching products with ease
- Preview matching products while creating the conditions
- Dynamically retrieve category products
Define your own conditions in one go
- Assign products to a category depending on product attributes
- Use special conditions to retrieve discounted or new products
- Import conditions from other categories
Easily index matching products
- Manually refresh matching products
- Automatically refresh matching products via cron task
Which version of Magento® is supported by Dynamic Category?
This extension works with Magento Community Edition and also Magento Enterprise Edition. To know if Dynamic Category is compatible with your Magento version, please check the Compatibility tab.
I didn't receive my payment confirmation for Dynamic Category
The payment confirmation email should only take a few minutes to be sent, rarely more than one hour.
- Check your spam filter.
- Contact us and we will try again to send it.
Where can I find the extension package?
You can find the extension package directly in your Wyomind account.
Go to My account > My downloads and click on the orange arrow next to the extension you've just purchased.
A new window opens. Choose the version of the extension and click on the download button on the right. Your download can start.
For any extension, you can download the package even after your free upgrade period.Check our faqs to install your extension and activate your license.
How do I install Dynamic Category?
1. Before installing the extension, it's advisable to backup your Magento installation. To complete the setup of your extension in the best way, you first need to disable the compiler in your Magento admin. For that, go to
System Tools Compilation.
If the compiler is activated, you must disable it by clicking on Disable.
2. Then, you need to refresh caches in System Cache Management.
4. Click on the orange button (example: 9.0.1 Available) to download your extension.
5. Once you have downloaded it, unzip the folder content.
6. Copy the folder content and paste all files and directories into your Magento web site root directory (the folder content can vary according to the extension but it generally includes the app, lib and skin folders).
7. Once your installation is complete, don't forget to enable the Compiler if it was activated before the installation and to Run Compilation Process.
8. Clear the cache and log in again.
Well done, your Wyomind extension installation is all set! Have a look to our next FAQ on how to activate your license.
I'm asking to overwrite /lib/Varien/Data/Form/Element/link.php, should I carry on?
You can skip this file, it's only for magento < 1.4.
What is the period of validity of my license?
Your license is valid for an unlimited period of time on one domain.
Note that you will be able to transfer your license to another domain in 2 cases:
- from/to any staging, dev or local domain you may use (in that case the license will be valid on all domains at the same time)
- if the old domain redirects definitively to the new one (301 permanent redirection)
You'll need 2 licenses for:
You'll need only 1 license for:
Check how to activate your license on your staging environments.
How long is my upgrade period?
When buying an extension from wyomind.com, you automatically get 3 months of free upgrade available from the date of purchase. After these 3 months, you can purchase an upgrade. You'll have the choice between 1 or 12 months. During that time, you'll be able to download and install the upgraded version to your domain.
Note that the upgraded version will be available in the Wyomind account with which the original extension has been purchased.upgrade to the last version of the extension.
Can I use the same license for my staging server?
No need to buy 2 licenses for 2 domains to test an extension on a staging server first, a license is valid for one live domain and as many staging or development environments you need. To be able to use your extension on production and pre-production domains, you have to follow some steps. Here is how to proceed:
1. Install the extension on your staging environment.
2. Activate the license.
3. You can now use your extension on your staging domain.
Now you want to use the extension on your live domain.
1. Redownload your extension package from your Wyomind account.
2. Install the extension on your live domain.
3. From your Magento admin panel, in System > Config > Wyomind > Your extension, fill in your current activation key.
4. Save config.
5. A notification is displayed offering you to Buy a new license now or to Add this domain to my license.
6. Click on Add this domain to my license.
7. Our team approves or denies your request within one hour (see conditions).
8. You receive a confirmation email.
9. Once your request is accepted, you can use your extension on both domains at the same time.The order in which you activate your license on your domains has no importance, you can activate the extension on your live domain first and then on your staging or dev environments.
Where can I find my activation key?
You can find your activation key in 3 different places.
1. In the confirmation email that you've received after the purchase of your extension
2. In your Wyomind account
Log into your Wyomind account. In My account > My downloads, choose your extension and click on the orange arrow on its right. A new window opens where your should find the activation key.
3. In your Magento admin when the extension is already installed and activated
Log into your Magento admin panel. In System > Config > Wyomind > your extension, you should see the License activation tab. In that tab you'll find your activation key.
How do I activate Dynamic Category ?
You have installed your extension. Now you need to activate the license.
1. Copy the activation key available in your Wyomind account (check our FAQ to know where to find your activation key). For example: ACTKEY-ABCD.
2. Go to your Magento admin. A message appears at the top.
- The Html output of License Manager is not disabled in system > configuration > advanced > advanced
- The License Manager is well enabled in the file app/etc/modules/Wyomind_Licensemanager.xml
- The License Manager has not been removed from your installation
3. In System > Config > Wyomind > Your extension, paste the activation key in the Activation key field.
4. Choose between the Automatic (Yes) or the Manual (No) activation method.
- Automatic (Yes): you allow a connection to Wyomind's license server
- Manual (No): you must log in with your browser to Wyomind's license server
5. Save your config.
6. A message appears at the top of your admin: Activate it now! Click on that link.
7. Copy and paste the license code in the License code field from your admin or simply click on Activate now!.
8. Finally, you must log out and clear the caches so that the installation is complete. And that's all!To activate the license of an extension that includes other modules (for example Advanced Inventory that includes 3 modules), you will have to repeat the above steps for each module (in the case of Advanced Inventory there will be 4 modules to activate) using the activation keys corresponding to each module.
How do I upgrade to the latest version of the extension?
You can upgrade directly from your account.
1. Go to My account > My download.
2. Click on the orange arrow next to the extension you want to upgrade.
3. Click on Upgrade Now or choose the version you wish to upgrade.
4. Enter your current activation key and click on the orange button.
5. Choose the domain name for which you want to upgrade the extension.
6. Choose 1 month or 1 year of upgrade.
7. Choose a professional installation or not.
8. Click on Buy now.
Why do I get a message 'Request an IP unlock' in my admin?
If you're getting this message, it probably means that you have filled in the Activation Key field in System > Config > Wyomind > Your extension with a wrong activation key too many times.
You need to follow these steps:
1. Click on Request an IP unlock.
2. Our team should accept your request within one hour.
3. During that time, check which activation key you need to provide (our Faq will help you find your activation key).
4. Once your IP unlock request has been approved, paste your activation key in the Activation key field (in System > Config > Wyomind > Your extension) and click on Save Config.
Then, you can finalize the activation of the license.
Why do I continuously get "Request an IP unlock" in my admin even after having unlocked it several times?
In order to solve this problem, you must empty the License code field from System > Configuration > Wyomind > Your extension and click on Save config. Finally, reactivate your license by clicking on Activate Now.
You may also have to request a free license transfer. If so, you can follow our faq.
Why do I get a message 'Unable to update your license' in my admin?
If you get the following message in your Magento admin:
Unable to update your license : your subscription has expired.
In order to extend your subscription, please connect into your Wyomind account.
It probably means that you installed a higher version than the one you're licensed for.
You'll have 2 possibilities:
1. Download and install the extension version you purchased by choosing for example 8.0.0 (installed)
2. or increase your upgrade period and install the new version of the extension clicking on upgrade now
Magento® Community Edition
Magento® Enterprise Edition
Leave your review and get up to 3 months of FREE upgrade
Greatest magento tool ever!!!
* Really does what it says. Really helped us with time, integrity and correct many mistakes we have made with products on wrong categories when we assigned them manually.* Easy ang bug-free to install (Magento 1.9.1 version)* Great support and communication.* Really and strongly suggest for this affordable extension
7th January 2017
Life saving, Hundreds of Hour Saving
Listen you have to get this module and I will tell you why! First of When you have thousands of product on your site there are going to be Thousands of keywords you're going to rank for and as such you need to have really well designed landing pages for these keywords with the appropriate products listed there! The pros that I have seen with this extension 1. Its better that any splash page/Landing page extension out there. Reason being you have total control of the Meta data that is added to these pages From title to tags and you can beautify the category pages with it. 2. The module not only add the product dynamically to the desired category but it also update the category attribute in the product itself. So if you have an export module you can export the products based on the category this extension dynamically created 3. once the criteria you used to add it to the category changes then the extension updates the category attributes of the affected products. 4. you can use a ton of conditions for almost all of your attributes, is, less than, greater my favorite (contains) and much more. I don't even know what else to say about this extension ( but It is a solid extension, the most though through extension for Magento since Magento itself) Oh Yeah the have a killer Support team. I mean Killer send them an email now go outside come back in and you will see a response from them! Need I say more?
15th December 2016
Serious Time Saver
This is a revolution! Rules based category population. Want everything over $x, with red in the title, added in the last 90 days? Boom. Much more besides! Makes populating categories so fast.
5th August 2016
If you're unsure whether to purchase this, I'd say go for it!It's a delight - so glad we found it and this developer.
30th June 2016
Installation was nothing more that unzipping into the root folder and then flushing the caché.The product is amazing, we had to create categories that could "search" keywords in the products. setup time was 15 minutes, no errors on magento 18.104.22.168
22nd April 2016
No longer while I waste hours with categorization!
This extension was easy to install for a rookie, and worked right away.I had a of snag with the settings on a main subcategory, after a quick email with the developer they suggested it was the Anchor tag being turned on which caused it, upon turning it off it worked a treat.The communication is strong and the extension works a treat.Maybe even best of all,the developer offers an array handy free extensions as well.10/10 will likely buy from again.Alexhttp://www.newtons-shred.co.uk
7th October 2015
Great performance w/ 10k+ products
Works like a charm also with 10k+ products.In earlier versions this extension only kind of virtually added the products to the categories, breaking compatibility with other extensions which required categories to be assigned to products the Magento native way (e.g. auto-related products based on the same category or multiple breadcrumb paths extension).But with the v2 release products are really added to the category, making it the perfect extension for categorizing imports from large product feeds.Thanks to the indexing in the background so far performance isn't an issue.
24th August 2015
Create dynamic categories fast and easy
Great extension to create dynamic categories fast and easy.Has many basic features and extra advanced filters to suit your needs.Some advanced filters may be added later. Maybe also with the ability to combine manual added and dynamic products in 1 collectionGreat work. And great to work with! Thanks Johan
12th June 2015
essential extension for organising product with many category entries
This extension was the cheapest but most powerful and essential extension we use on our Magento stores. The solution is incredibly simple for assigning products dynamically to their categories based on specific attribute values. Should be a core feature of Magento.
28th July 2014
Does exactly what it needs to
I needed a category on my website to display products within a specific price range, this did exactly that and more, for 29 dollars the time saving is so worth it! also saw a very similar extension at a much higher price that does the same features as this one.
16th May 2014
This offer is limited to one domain per extension purchased from your account
- v2.5.0released on 25/05/2016
- New management of licenses
- v2.4.3released on 23/04/2016
- Conditions according to the selected store view
- Fix on static categories
- v2.4.2released on 22/04/2016
- Fixed bug undefined method quoteEscape() in Magento v1.7
DynamicCategory / DynamicCategory123
- Work in progress...