Overview of Competition Creator for Magento
Competition Creator, what is it?
Competiton Creator is a Magento extension which allows you to create your own competitions.
First of all, you can create a competition, choose the start and end date, detail the competition and finally, select the winners thanks to the automatic random draw of Competition Creator.
This Magento extension allows you to improve the relationship between you and your customers by proposing competitions. But the main aim of Competition Creator is to allow you to collect some email addresses to send newsletters for example.
How does Competition Creator work?
Once you have created your competition, visitors of your Magento website will have a direct access to that one thanks to the url rewritting, used to optimize the dynamic pages indexing.
The competition will show a description, a disclaimer, the competition?s end date. Your customers will have the choice between subscribe to the competition or not. They will have to fill in their first name, last name and email address to be able to participate in the competition. Once the subscription is over, a notification will appear at the top of the page.
Your customers will also be able to discover the list of all the competitions you are proposing on a page available via the url: example.com/competition.
Get familiar with Competition Creator for Magento
How to create a competition?
With Competition Creator, you can either edit a competition or create a new one.
To create a competition, it is easy, click on Add one competition. To edit a competition, you just have to click on the one you want to modify.
How to configure the competition's details?
You can now configure all the details needed to create the competition in the Competition Details tab on the left.
First of all, you have to name your competition.
In the Url Key field, you must enter a unique url, without any space just as in the example below.
Then, define the number of winners you want (only one, or several winners).
You can also add an image to your competition by clicking on Parcourir and by choosing among your files, an image that corresponds to the competition?s topic.
After that, define the different store views in which you want the competition to appear.
In the next field, you must choose the customer groups that can participate in the competition. You can select all customer groups or just choose retailers for example.
Then, define the start and end date of the competition. Once the competition is over, and only after that, you will have the possibility to draw the winners.
Next step, write a detailed description of your competition helping with the complete editor that you can show or hide by clicking on Show / Hide Editor.
The next field corresponds with the disclaimer that you must write for each one of your competition.
How to get to know the entrants?
In order to collect data about the entrants, such as their email addresses, go in the Competitors tab on the left.
You have then the possibility to see all the competition?s entrants, their first names, last names, email addresses as well as their status (subscribed, non-activated, unsubscribed, non-confirmed).
Whenever you want, you have the possibility to delete the competition by clicking on Delete this competition.
To save it, click on Save this competition or Save and Continue.
A notification will then appear to indicate if the competition has been correctly saved.
To have an overview of your competition, click on the following tab on the competition management page:
You can also see all the competitions you have created listed on a page by using this url: example.com/competition.
Here is what you get:
How to draw lots?
In order to be able to select one or more winners, according to your settings in the competition?s details, the competition must be over.
Once the date exceeded, a new tab is available in the competition?s edition. Click on Draw lots now to select automatically the winner(s).
After that, a notification appears and indicates that the winner(s) have been drawn.
Let?s go to Competitors tab to know the names and addresses of the winner(s).
Now you hold all the cards! It?s your turn!
Improve your customer relationship with Competition Creator!
Easily collect a large number of email addresses
- Create your own competitions
Completely customize your competitions
- Choose the number of winners
- Define the start and end dates of the competition
Automate the competitions
- Draw winners automatically
Which version of Magento is supported by Competition Creator?
This extension works with Magento Community Edition and also Magento Enterprise Edition. To know if Competition Creator is compatible with your Magento version, please check the Compatibility tab.
How to translate some text on the frontend?
For example, you want to translate some expressions for the French store view.
Go to your Magento root directory. Copy the Wyomind_competitioncreator.csv file under app/locale/en_US to app/locale/fr_FR (or to the language you want).
In that file, you can add some entries and translations. For example:
- "First name","Prénom"
- "Last name","Nom"
Here is below an example of a translation csv file.
You could also use the "Translate Inline" tool available in the magento system (System > Configuration > Advanced > Developer > Translate Inline).
I didn't receive my payment confirmation for Competition Creator
The payment confirmation email should only take a few minutes to be sent, rarely more than one hour.
1. Check your spam filter.
2. Contact us and we will try again to send it.
Can I use the same license for my staging server?
No need to buy 2 licenses for 2 domains to test an extension on a staging server first, a license is valid for one live domain and as many staging or development environments you need. To be able to use your extension on production and pre-production domains, you have to follow some steps. Here is how to proceed:
1. Install the extension on your production environment.
2. Activate the license.
3. You can now use your extension on your production domain.
Now you want to use the extension on your live domain.
1. Redownload your extension package from your Wyomind account.
2. Install the extension on your live domain.
3. From your Magento admin panel, in System > Config > Wyomind > Your extension, fill in your current activation key.
4. Save config.
5. A notification is displayed offering you to Buy a new license or to Request a free license transfer.
7. Our team approves or denies your request within one hour (see conditions).
8. You receive a confirmation email.
9. Once your request is accepted, you can use your extension on both domains.The order in which you activate your license on your domains has no importance, you can activate the extension on your live domain first and then on your staging or dev environments.
Where can I find the extension package?
You can find the extension package directly in your Wyomind account.
For any extension, you can download the package even after your free upgrade period.
In the case where the extension you've purchase includes other ones (for example Advanced Inventory or Pickup@Store), to be able to see the orange button, you may need to click on your domain name as below.install your extension and activate your license.
How do I install Competition Creator?
1. Before installing the extension, it's advisable to backup your Magento installation. To complete the setup of your extension in the best way, you first need to disable the compiler in your Magento admin. For that, go to System > Tools > Compilation.
If the compiler is activated, you must disable it by clicking on Disable.
2. Then, you need to refresh caches in System > Cache Management.
4. Click on the orange button (example: 9.0.1 Available) to download your extension.
6. Copy the folder content and paste all files and directories into your Magento web site root directory (the folder content can vary according to the extension but it generally includes the app, lib and skin folders).
7. Once your installation is complete, don?t forget to enable the Compiler if it was activated before the installation and to Run Compilation Process.
8. Clear the cache and log in again.
Well done, your Wyomind extension installation is all set! Have a look to our next FAQ on how to activate your license.
I'm asking to overwrite /lib/Varien/Data/Form/Element/link.php, should I carry on?
You can skip this file, it's only for magento < 1.4.
Where can I find my activation key?
You can find your activation key in 3 different places.
1. In the confirmation email that you've received after the purchase of your extension
2. In your Wyomind account
3. In your Magento admin when the extension is already installed and activated
Log into your Magento admin panel. In System > Config > Wyomind > your extension, you should see the License activation tab. In that tab you'll find your activation key.
How do I activate Competition Creator ?
You have installed your extension. Now you need to activate the license.
1. Copy the activation key available in your Wyomind account (check our FAQ to know where to find your activation key). For example: ACTIVATION-KEY.
3. In System > Config > Wyomind > Your extension, paste the activation key in the Activation key field.
4. Choose between the Automatic (Yes) or the Manual (No) activation method.
- Automatic (Yes): you allow a connection to Wyomind's license server
- Manual (No): you must log in with your browser to Wyomind's license server
5. Save your config.
6. A message appears at the top of your admin: Activate it now! Click on that link.
8. Finally, you must log out and clear the caches so that the installation is complete. And that's all!To activate the license of an extension that includes other modules (for example Advanced Inventory that includes 3 modules), you will have to repeat the above steps for each module (in the case of Advanced Inventory there will be 4 modules to activate) using the activation keys corresponding to each module.
How do I uninstall Competition Creator?
In order to uninstall Competition Creator, you must remove all the following files and directories:
Clean the cache and re-launch the compiler (if you use it).
How do I upgrade to the latest version of the extension?
You can upgrade directly from your account.
1. Go to My account > My download.
2. Click on the grey arrow next to the extension you want to upgrade.
3. Click on Upgrade Now.
5. Choose the domain name for which you want to upgrade the extension.
6. Choose 1 month or 1 year of upgrade.
7. Choose a professional installation or not.
8. Click on Buy now.
Why do I get a message 'Request an IP unlock' in my admin?
If you're getting this message, it probably means that you have filled in the Activation Key field in System > Config > Wyomind > Your extension with a wrong activation key too many times.
You need to follow these steps:
1. Click on Request an IP unlock.
2. Our team should accept your request within one hour.
3. During that time, check which activation key you need to provide (our Faq will help you find your activation key).
4. Once your IP unlock request has been approved, paste your activation key in the Activation key field (in System > Config > Wyomind > Your extension) and click on Save Config.
Then, you can finalize the activation of the license.
Why do I get a message 'Unable to update your license' in my admin?
If you get the following message in your Magento admin:
Unable to update your license : your subscription has expired.
In order to extend your subscription, please connect into your Wyomind account.
It probably means that you installed a higher version than the one you're licensed for.
You'll have 2 possibilities:
1. Download and install the extension version you purchased by clicking on the orange button for example 9.0.0 installed
2. or increase your upgrade period and install the new version of the extension clicking on upgrade now
I get a 404 error instead of the configuration page in the admin panelMost of the time log-out/log-in may solve this issue.
I get a fatal error concerning Mage_Core_Model_Resource_Setup.php
If your site crashes and gives this error message after uploading all files to the correct folders:
Fatal error: Class 'Wyomind_Notificationmanager_Model_Resource_Setup' not found in includes/src/Mage_Core_Model_Resource_Setup.php on line 234
It probably comes from installing an extension while the compiler is still enabled.
- If the compilation is enabled on your website (System > Tools > Compilation). Disable it first before installing any extension. After installation re-run the compilation process and re-enable the compiler.
- Before installing any extension, it's advisable to backup your Magento installation.
Here is the way to disable the magento compiler:
Edit the following file: includes/config.php and add a # before the 2 following lines:
define('COMPILER_INCLUDE_PATH', dirname(__FILE__).DIRECTORY_SEPARATOR.'src'); define('COMPILER_COLLECT_PATH', dirname(__FILE__).DIRECTORY_SEPARATOR.'stat');
#define('COMPILER_INCLUDE_PATH', dirname(__FILE__).DIRECTORY_SEPARATOR.'src'); #define('COMPILER_COLLECT_PATH', dirname(__FILE__).DIRECTORY_SEPARATOR.'stat');
Then go back to your website admin and re-run the compilation process.
I get an error saying "err_connection_reset".
It can happen on localhost environments because of rights on session files stored locally.
You have to rename app/code/local/wyomind/competitioncreator/sql/competitioncreator_setup to something different: for example competitioncreator_setup_XX.
I'm getting an error message when I try to send the form from a secure page.
Magento Community Edition
Magento Enterprise Edition
Leave your review on Magento Connect and get 6 additional months of free upgrade
- v.1.1.0released on 10/03/2015
- Confirmation emails to the admin and to the entrants
- Management of start / end dates
- Countdown until the end of the competition
- Cron tasks to draw lots automatically
- Compatibility fix for Magento Security Patch SUPEE-6285
- v.1.0.0released on 07/02/2014
- First Release
competitioncreator / competitioncreator123
- Coming soon!